Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?
Recently I persuaded a friend to start a school club with me. I used logos to show them how it looks good from a college perspective and how it would be a good thing to include in applications for any summer internship programs. I also used pathos, appealling to their emotions, explaining how I don't want to start a club alone and that they would be an amazing co founder. I could have used ethos to show them that it would not have been a huge commitment and that I would contribute accordingly. For example I could show them that I am in other clubs and I understand how they work but I did'nt end up utilizing that appeal. The most effective appeal was logos because it convinced them that creating a club was worth the small effort in the long run and that it could provide extra information to stand out from other college applicants.
Summary: Today in class we looked at adds and political campaigns to determine whether they were ethos, pathos and logos.
Reflection: I learned not to overthink images and that even though an add can have all three appeals you need to focus on the one that stands out the most. This will help me when creating arguments by utilizing these appeals in order to affectively get your points across.
Comments
Post a Comment