Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.
An argument that I wish I could have handled differently was when I disagreed with one of my group members and friends in Ap Seminar. I wanted them to understand what I was trying to get accross instead of truly listening to their idea. I was too set on the idea that mine was better. Looking back on it, I would listen more to their point of view instead of trying to force them to agree with my opinion. Now that I understand the aspects of making a good argument I would stimulate there emotions by making them feel like their idea is also well though out and good. Then I might change their opinion by showing them how my idea might work better for this specific assignment.
Summary: Today in class we read a couple chapters of the book Thank You for Arguing and took notes.
Reflection: This novel helped me think deeper into the idea of arguments and what you are actually aiming to accomplish with your audience. Now I understand that in order to receive a positive outcome when involved in an argument you must determine the core issue, stimulate your audiences emotions, change their opinion, and finally get them to act.
Comments
Post a Comment